The Beersocks Beer Blog

This Blog is dedicated to my many thoughts and feelings about beer. I will describe different beers and my experiences with them

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Lost Coast Indica...and a report on my garden


Just a brief tasting relating to nothing other then beer.
Tried the Lost Coast Indica IPA last night. Picked up a 6 at the corner beer shop. Although it wasn't cheap ($11 for 6), it was worth the price. A truly tasty IPA, if your into that sort of thing, which I am. At first I was thinking 2 hearted, but after I let it breathe and got into it a bit, I was reminded of a Sierra Celebration Ale. Obviously it has its own virtues...The nose of the hops is fantastic and I would assume this is coming from Cascade. As you settle into this "in your face" IPA the beer takes on an almost tea like character. I think this is what reminds me of the Celebration. I'd like to try some more of the lost coast offerings, which I have recently seen available around town. Hoping to find a tap with my name on it. The brewery is certainly a revolution in brewing. Started in 1986 by two women, who are still the owners and brewers of this classic northern California brewery. I wonder how many women brewers there are in this country, or even the world. Seems to be a male dominated industry, but the subtle touch of a women seems to be such an obvious positive for a solid craft brew. You can check out there brewery here .
I'm planning on moving this summer, so I'm really not going to have much of a garden this year. However, it was irresistible for me when I saw some hop rhizomes at the brew shop last weekend. A rhizome is essentially the underground branches of a plants root system. Hops are cloned and grown using rhizome cuttings from mature plants. As of yesterday my hops have just started to peak out of the soil. From what I understand they will not really become established until the 2nd year of growth. What strain am I growing? Cascade of course. Can't wait to make the shoebocks bock with my own cascade hops. Mmmmmm hoppy IPA like bock beer sounds unique and tasty. Give me a year or two on that one.
On the same note, my neighbor/friend/brew partner is going to try and become completely brew self sufficient. He is going to grow barley, hops, and I have no idea what he will do about yeast. My assumption is that he will cultivate yeast between his toes. Mmmm can't wait to try the Toe Jam Stout.

5 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger Attrill said...

I was thinking Laika and Bobby could be good yeast sources....hair of the dog ale or something.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Meow!mix said...

Toe Jam grows great out here, so if you need a never ending supply, just let me know and I'll hook up your brewery

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Dr. Beer Socks said...

Ooh a west coast source for toe jam yeast strains. Fantastic, simply fanfuckingtastic.

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger edwarderickson3430378952 said...

While you read this, YOU start to BECOME aware of your surroundings, CERTIAN things that you were not aware of such as the temperature of the room, and sounds may make YOU realize you WANT a real college degree.

Call this number now, (413) 208-3069

Get an unexplained feeling of joy, Make it last longer by getting your COLLEGE DEGREE. Just as sure as the sun is coming up tomorrow, these College Degree's come complete with transcripts, and are VERIFIABLE.

You know THAT Corporate America takes advantage of loopholes in the system. ITS now YOUR turn to take advantage of this specific opportunity, Take a second, Get a BETTER FEELING of joy and a better future BY CALLING this number 24 hours a day.
(413) 208-3069

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Dr. Beer Socks said...

Wow Edward
You make a pretty strong case to call the number you have listed. I imagine it has something to do with a check from Nigeria and the purchase of a small item that needs to be shipped. I can totally see how this all relates to beer. I won't delete you unless you become a pest. For now, you are simply entertainment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home