The Beersocks Beer Blog

This Blog is dedicated to my many thoughts and feelings about beer. I will describe different beers and my experiences with them

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Beers, Beers, Beers...and a thoughtful conversation


Went up to the greatest beer bar in Chicago, and possibly the country on Friday night. We went just to try a couple Belgians and things you don't normally see. It was a great night, rode my skateboard and was home early. Hung out with some good friends and had some interesting conversations. Of note I realized that I wouldn't do unto my enemies what some people would do to their friends (that's pretty cool). It's sad to me that people can be so self centered that they fail to either realize or care, if they are hurting those around them. Whether it be mentally, physically, or spiritually this seems to be all to common. I must say surrounding ones self with those that have the ability to understand the consequences of their actions, and furthermore, the ability to refrain from those actions, which can do nothing but hurt those around them is important. This isn't to say that you should live your life focused on not hurting people, but rather, live a life as true to those around you as possible. I'm working very hard to surround my self with those people that feel or act the same in this manner. In age I've realized that not everyone is going to like you, and its ok to step away from those that aren't going to be true to you. This has been hard for me, because I've struggled with the idea that everyone should like me. In the past I've been willing to sacrifice myself to insure this, but I realize now, this is harmful to myself. These are the kind of bar conversations that make me love bars. It was of particular note because the conversation was with a great friend, and during the conversation, I came to the realization that I would truly not do to my enemies what so many are capable of doing to their, "friends". That made me feel really good about myself. Even better I knew that the people surrounding me act in the same way.
Wow, that was a little bit deep and out there...let's get on to the beers. By the way I updated the "Go Rate Beers" link to a site that is much better then the previous one I had listed. I'm just going to list the beers we had and give a brief description, all except the Hitachino were on tap.
Einbecher
see previous post

Piraat
This Belgian abbey style ale, is in my opinion, partly narcotic. Has a great in your face way about it, and most likely is getting you more fucked up then you think. I think it is a wonderful beer, but I can only have one.

Sierra Nevada Big Foot
This American barley wine, is an amazing beer. Like drinking a condensed Sierra Pale Ale. Its rather hoppy for a barley wine, but I like that. Goes down entirely too fast for a beer with 9 percent alcohol.

Gouden Carolus Classic (pictured)
This rare on tap in the U.S. Belgian is superb. Its a red ale that melts on the tip of your tongue. Sweeter rather then tart, but completely subtle in all respects. This style of Belgian is my favorite, and rather hard to find. Some others are the Duchess de Bourgogne and the Rodenbach Classic. New Glarus makes a Belgian red, but it lacks the complexity of these Belgian treasures.

Hitachino Celebration 2006
This little brewery from Japan has really come into its own. Producing a wide variety of beers. The celebration is a dark beer with an almost wheat beer texture. It has all kinds of interesting flavors including a strong under tone of vanilla.

Well that about did for the trip. Stay tuned for a report on this years Spaten Mai Bock as I hear rumors it has come to town.

4 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger Attrill said...

Mmmmmm....Gouden Carolus.......mmmmmm.

I was checking around and some people think they use candied sugar in the brew, along with dark Munich and caramel malts.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Dr. Beer Socks said...

Its one of the odlest if not the oldest breweries in belgium, which is saying a lot. Where did you find the ingrediants? Can we make something like this?

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Do you work in the beer tasting industry?

I like checking in with this blog because it makes me want to branch out in my life and go for more things, most notably beer.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Dr. Beer Socks said...

This blog was developed as a motivation tool for people like you. The cost is $199.99 for the diamond package, which includes everything you see hear. Ask your self one question, do you want to be cool?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home