The Beersocks Beer Blog

This Blog is dedicated to my many thoughts and feelings about beer. I will describe different beers and my experiences with them

Monday, November 14, 2005

Anderson Valley and a very drunk Shoebocks






Let me just start out by saying how much fun I had this weekend. Its been a while since I got totally ripped and howled at the moon. A bunch of groups came together for a burningman decompression out in Michigan. I had been on this particular piece of land in August, and it just has an amazing energy to it. It was a great event for me personally, because all I had to do was show up and fuck off. I found the perfect camping spot, which was a secluded in the trees on the outer edge of the property. It was great group of people, and I hope everyone can do this more often. By the way I got so drunk I lost my glass bowl and dog leash, if you happen upon it, let me know. Now on to the beer.

I drank a 6 pack of Bells 20th Anniversary, but I've already mentioned it in a previous entry, so I'll just say it packs punch, and begs to be put in your belly.

I also brought a 22 0z. bottle of Three Floyds Gumball Head. Holy crap this is fantastic. I broke into it well into my crazed drinking fiesta. I brought a couple good friends back to my camp, which was fun, because I'm pretty sure they thought I was lost. To get to my camp you had to take a series of trails, and then cut through some trees, and being a bit buzzed and having my usual jackass attitude, I'm sure I gave a good impression of being lost or at least insane. None he less, I took them right to camp and we shot the shit and drank a fine beer. Gumball head has some of the best tasting hops, it is almost sweet with hops. Technically it is a summer wheat beer, but has a whole lot more character then that. I've never had a summer or wheat beer with this kind of hoppiness and punch. I'd love to try some of this on tap, only ever seen it in big bottles in Chicago. I give it a 10, and think it pushed me from buzzed to drunk. Woohooooo, now back to our adventure.

The other 6 pack I brought was Anderson Valley's Oatmeal Stout. The first time I had this beer was at a gigsville New Years campout. A great man by the name of Sad Man, worked at the brewery and brought a keg. It lasted about an hour, and went down like pure bliss. In bottles this beer is still amazing. It is very rich in flavor, definite chocolate over tones, and an unusual ho character for a stout. These of course pack a serious wallop. I asked Sadman to tell me a bit about the brewery and this is what he said, "It's not just shy sluggin gorms neemer!" (Boontling for "it's not just for breakfast anymore!). Boonting is the local dialect for the Anderson Valley, which is in Mendocino county, California. In American beer, Capital and Anderson Valley generally share in terms of respect and recognition. This is what they have to say about it at the brewery, "With its deep, dark brown-black color, thick, full-bodied, velvety-smooth mouth feel, mocha character, and, strong yet subtle hop bite, Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout is one of the thickest, richest, and most complex stouts on the market today. In 1990, it became our first gold medal winner, at the Great American Beer Festival. Barney Flats was judged so superior to the other stouts that no other medals were even awarded in its category. Try it and see why Stewart Kallen described it as, "Slippery, creamy, dark, and sweet as a Pacific May morning," in his book, The 50 Greatest Beers in the World"
I recommend any of their beers. !!!!!

Now if you were wondering how I got so drunk, I implore you to sit down and drink that 12 pack and let me know what happens. I was also ramping it up a bit, because its a burningman event, and it should be a bit extreme. Sorry if I offended you, your welcome if I entertained you. Let me know if you've seen my bowl or leash.

3 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't offended so I'll take that "your welcome" as you were indeed very entertaining. Did the firewood say something to offend you? If my evershady memory is correct, I seem to have visuals of you whacking the logs with a shovel with a vengence as if the firewood had just kicked you in the junk.

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you were the guy with the shovel? Let me just say that those sparks were impressive. you certainly showed THAT log who was boss. I think your leash ended up in the lost and found. I wore it for a bit the next day and had some of the girls pull me around. Contact the proprietor for more info.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Dr. Beer Socks said...

Yeah
That was me beating the crap out of the logs. Its fun and generally harmless behavior.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home